If you want to do something to make the world a better place right now. Like NOW. Then, it’s as easy as riding a bike.
Think of all the little trips to local spots near your home and in your neighborhood and how you get there. Sometimes, you might walk, but oftentimes, you may hop in your car to shorten the distance between your home and your destination. With a little bit of planning though, you could be going more places by bike instead.
Here’s what you’ll get when you choose to go by bike.
- You’ll see your neighborhood in a whole new way.
- You’ll see your neighbors from a distance and wave.
- You’ll notice the flowers along your route and shade from the trees.
- You might hear someone’s wind chimes in the breeze.
- You’ll pass small businesses in between the big box stores.
- You’ll ride on streets you’ve never driven down.
- You might find some neat artwork or a mural.
- You will certainly get some exercise and reduce your carbon footprint.
Going by bike is an adventure, powered by you. For more information about the #GoByBike movement, safe places to ride, how to ride with your kids, and all about bike safety, visit: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/gobybike/
To join the Go By Bike Movement is simple:
- Choose your bike over your car at least once a week.
- Take a picture with a caption and #GoByBike
- Invite others to join by tagging them.
For those of you local to Philadelphia, the Bicycle Coalition of Philadelphia is a fantastic resource for safe routes in our area and so much more. Consider joining the Coalition or making a donation to them so that they can advocate for more bike lanes, bike paths, and bike infrastructure in the Greater Philadelphia Area to make riding a bike safer for all. Check out their website here: https://bicyclecoalition.org/
If you live near Montgomery County, PA, here is yet another great resource: https://www.montcopa.org/BikeMontco
For news and more information for Lower Merion, check out: https://www.facebook.com/LMSafeCycling/